Ning Chen 陈凝, Graphic Design MFA, 2020
FAKEAT is an online fake food signage generator. It reflects the coexistence and conflict between Chinese culture and Western culture in American society. Participants in FAKEAT can choose one of the four Chinese characters “文化共存” (cultural coexistence) to combine with their favorite Western food to create interesting fake food signage.
In FAKEAT, Ning Chen creates an an online food signage generator. In the United States, Chinese culture is influenced by western culture, showing the phenomenon of cultural coexistence and integration. This phenomenon is reflected in Chinese American food, such as General Tso‘s Chicken – an American phenomenon. Ning combines the multiple meanings of four Chinese characters – “文化共存” (culture coexistence) with different western food, and creates an online interaction system named FAKEAT, on which participants can make their favorite fake food signage to experience the collision between Chinese and Western cultures.
- Title slide: FAKEAT
- Research Question: How to use Graphic Design language to show culture coexistence phenomenon, and let people really feel it?
- Process: Signage, food, and signage generator.
- Skills learned: HTML, CSS, JS
- Results: Signage generator
- Conclusions: What I learned and the future direction of my project.
- Acknowledgements: I appreciate everything happened there in Unravel the Code class 2019 : )
Ning Chen’s Creative Process Journal site: https://nchen706976981.wordpress.com Ning Chen’s Personal Portfolio site: https://www.ningchen.work/ Ning Chen’s social media account: @christine_nc_ Ning Chen’s Email: email@example.com